With their busy schedules and many responsibilities, most moms feel overwhelmed. Finding time to exercise can be hard. In this episode, I share three steps that will make fitting in fitness way easier and also more aligned with your body’s needs. Learn to tap into intuitive movement that supports your life in the many roles you play.
Three Steps for Fitness Planning
Step 1: How
Ask yourself, “How do I want to feel this week?”
Think about what’s coming up in your schedule for the week, and what kind of movement will support you through it.
- You have a late night planned this week. Choose more gentle movement or no formal workout the next day so you can honour the rest you need.
- You have a big deliverable at work. Choose calming movements like meditative walking, yoga, Pilates, or stretch and strength workouts to build your confidence and reduce stress. Maybe a dance-based fitness class for after you finish that project so you can celebrate?
- You want to feel the achievement of personal growth—doing something you’ve never done before. Choose an event to train for or an exercise you’d like to build endurance in, like a pushup or squat challenge.
Step 2: When
Focus on moving more in everyday life by engaging in:
- Active commutes to work (biking or walking—even part of the way).
- Walking meetings with colleagues.
- Playing at the park with your kids. Or walking around the soccer field during their game.
Lock your movement times into your schedule. Remember to give yourself a buffer of time before or after the workout for any prep, travel, coordination, or clean up that needs to happen. We’re trying to eliminate rushing!
Step 3: Commit
Watch out for unintentional “hijacking” of your workout time. Are other people’s priorities really more important than your own? If a family or work circumstance dictates that you must miss your exercise, then know your decision to change your plans is an opportunity to learn:
- How to be more efficient at something
- How to say “no” or to delegate
- How to be more flexible and forgiving of the daily shifts in our best-laid plans
I’m moving my own fitness practice into more intuitive movement and I’d love for you to join me on this journey. It’s a healthier way, mentally, to approach exercise—especially with the many demands of motherhood. Please join me on Tuesday mornings, 6:15-6:45 a.m. for a live workout in the Dancing in Wellbeing with CareerFit Mom Facebook Group. I’ll be exercising for the way I want to feel that day and I’d love to share it with you. See you there!