Five moves you can do on even the busiest of days!
My clients are busy moms like you with almost zero personal time.
I’m often asked, “What are the best exercises to do when I can’t fit in a full workout?”
I’m happy to share some speedy actions you can take to improve your fitness, even when you’re juggling all the responsibilities of motherhood and beyond.
Magic Five Exercises: I recommend these moves for maximum calorie burn as they hit major muscle groups, keeping your heart rate up.
Wall Squat: works quads, glutes, hamstrings
- Back against wall, arms up in goal post, lower down so legs are at 90 degree angle, weight in heels.
- Hold for 30-60 seconds
- Advanced: Lift 1 foot off ground and straighten leg out (30 sec)
- Both feet on ground (30 sec)
- Lift other foot off ground (30 sec)
- Both feet on ground for final push – how long can you hold it?
Push-Ups: works chest, arms, core
- On toes, knees or even on the wall, complete as many as you can to fatigue
Lunges: works legs, butt
- Stand with one leg forward, put weight on the front foot
- Bend knees keeping front knee over the ankle
- Repeat bend and straighten for up to 15 reps – you can add a static hold in the bent position for more challenge
- Rest 30-60 sec. then complete reps on the other side
Plank: works core
- Lie on belly, place forearms on floor and lift body off the floor so you’re in a straight line from head to toe
- Keep knees on floor to make it easier
- Hold for as long as you can, aiming for 30-60 sec.
Bird Dog: works core
- On hands & knees, R arm extended + L leg extended & hold for 20 seconds. Switch sides. Repeat each side again.
Resistance Tubing Full Body Workout
No time for muscle conditioning workouts? You can achieve great, quick results with a resistance tube! This workout includes “multi-tasking” moves that hit multiple muscle groups at once, saving you time but maximizing calorie burn and building lean mass. Need a tube – check out the Smart Toner I use with my clients!
- Warm-up for 5 minutes before starting the workout.
- Do 10-15 reps of each move. To make it easier: drop the tube as you get tired and finish moves without resistance. To make it harder: tighten resistance on the tube, controlled by stretching it between hands/feet. Add pulses & isometric holds.
- Cool down and stretch for 5 minutes at the end of the workout.
- Always consult your doctor before beginning an exercise program.
Squats: works legs & butt
- Stand on middle of tube, feet hip width apart. Grasp handles
- Bend knees as you push butt back (as if sitting in a chair)
- As you return to standing, push R leg out to the side (foot flexed, push through heel). Alternate R & L side legs. Try glute squeezes as you stand up too
Lunges w/ Bicep Curls: works legs, butt, arms
- Stand on middle of tube in a lunge position, R leg front.
- Lower into a lunge and grasping handles, lift arms into a bicep curl. Release curl as you come up. Pulses!
Inner Thigh (Plié) Squats w/ Scapula Squeeze: works legs, upper back, shoulders
- Wrap tube around from front, then cross at your back and grasp handles in each hand
- Wide legged stance, pushing knees to back wall, lower into a squat
- As you lower with legs, push arms straight out to the sides. As you straighten your knees, squeeze your shoulder blades together, bringing your arms in towards your body
Hamstring Curls & Balance Challenge: works back of the legs, core
- Put one handle through the other handle to make a loop with the tube
- Step into the loop with your R foot; tighten the loop slightly around your ankle. Step on the band with your L foot about 30 cm. from your ankle
- Lift your R leg behind, squeezing glutes and extending from the hip. Balance on the L leg!
- Lift your R foot towards your bum as you flex & extend your hamstring. Stand upright, keeping abs tight. Switch sides
Tricep Press & Balance Challenge: works back of the arm, core, legs
- Holding both handles, balancing on L leg, place middle of tube on top of R foot as it extends behind you (like ham curl)
- Arms push up to beside your head; lower forearms behind as you stabilize upper arms beside your ears
- Don’t forget to switch legs on 2nd set
Shoulder Shimmy: works deltoids, rotator cuff
- Stand on middle of band, holding both handles, R arm 90 degree angle
- Lift R arm laterally, aligning with shoulders
- Rotate R arm up, so hand is near ear (goal post arms)
- Lift R arm into an overhead press. *12 reps of each of the 3 moves
“Chesty” Chicks: works pectorals, shoulders
- Wrap tube around you from front & cross at back, grasping handles
- Start on knees in upright position
- Arms 90 degrees (goal post), bring elbows towards midline of body (fly)
- Lower hands to shoulder height for, push/extend arms forwards (press)
- Lower body to push-up position. *12 reps of each of the 3 moves
Superwoman: works upper back, shoulders
- Lie on belly, put tube under belly; holding handles extend arms to side
- Lift chest off floor, keeping head in neutral alignment
- Push arms up overhead; hovering a few inches off the ground
- Release, squeezing shoulder blades together
Leg & Opposite Arm Extension: works core, shoulders, legs
- Put foot through tube handle while sitting on floor first
- Position self on hands & knees on floor
- Extend leg with tube around foot, hold onto opposite handle with opposite arm. Wrap around hand a few times for more resistance
- Extend leg out behind while pushing arm forward in front, keeping hips squared and body aligned in a flat table top position
- Switch sides
Abs – tube around feet
- Push legs out, keep as low to floor as possible
- As you bring your knees into chest, lift torso into a crunch
Try to do 20 a day as a physical reminder of your weight loss goals.