Job Posting for Assistant to the Publisher (2 days/week) at www.rabble.ca
If you are passionate about progressive politics, social change and independent media, and believe that administration and management skills are key to a successful project, then read on. rabble.ca, Canada’s leading site for independent progressive online news and analysis, seeks an Assistant to the Publisher. The ideal candidate works independently but enjoys being part of a dynamic team, has a passion for order and organization, a facility for writing, for learning new software and for juggling many projects simultaneously.
- The Assistant to the Publisher is responsible for supporting the Publisher in all elements of the business end of the rabble project.
- The Assistant supports the Publisher in ensuring the overall financial health of the organization; supports promotional campaigns, maintains the various administrative functions for the site, maintains online advertising, provides membership support, and supports the Publisher in fundraising and sponsorship opportunities.
Major areas of responsibility involve Administration, Financial Management, Advertising, Promotion and Fundraising. The
Assistant to the Publisher reports to the Publisher, and works closely with the Director of Special Projects and the Membership Coordinator.
Work will primarily be done from rabble’s desk at the Centre for Social Innovation.
* Manage the administrative elements of rabble: respond to general email inquires, manage mail, bank deposits, member and donor database, events listings, and other related tasks.
* Working with the Publisher, develop plan for regular communication with members, including maintaining current incentives program and developing new elements for the program. Support the annual membership renewal campaign, working with the Publisher, Director of Special Projects, and Membership Coordinator.
* Manage online advertising using OpenAds, and other related tasks.
* Support social media campaigns, giveaways, media sponsorships, and support in the coordination of promotional events.215 Spadina Avenue, Suite 400 Toronto, ON M5T 2C7 firstname.lastname@example.org
* Support Publisher and Director of special projects in annual donor mailing, donor cultivation; send out thank you letters, receipts and donor gifts.
* Support Publisher in management of budget, using Access and QuickBooks in coordination with Membership Coordinator, and other related tasks.
* May involve the supervision of interns and volunteers.
A qualified candidate should have:
- Strong organizational skills and be self motivated with little or no supervision
- The ability to create excellent connections with organizations who support social justice mandates
- Strong writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and a collaborative approach to teamwork
- A creative approach to working with limited financial resources
- Project management experience an asset
- Competence in Microsoft Access, Excel and Word.
- Knowledge of QuickBooks, Photoshop, Adobe are assets.
- Experience in social media marketing and/or event coordination are assets.
- Familiarity with Drupal, Basecamp, OpenAds, and Google advertising tools are asset
Six month contract with possibility of renewal. Remuneration: $25/hour Deadline for applications: April 11th, 2011
Please send a cover letter and CV attention to: Hiring Committee, email@example.com
Please note: In the spirit of the virtual office, only electronic applications will be accepted. Only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. Thank you to all those who apply.
rabble.ca is committed to achieving a representative workforce. Qualified diversity group members are encouraged to self identify on their applications.